A series of 11 original Canadian short films paying tribute to Olympic athletes can be viewed online or on demand.
Athletes in Motion will make its TV premiere on Bravo! just one week before the start of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
The series of patriotic short films feature homegrown athletes including Wayne Gretzky, Kurt Browning, Paralympic sit-skier Josh Dueck, former Olympic silver medallist Elizabeth Manley, Canadian and World curling champion Jennifer Jones, Skeleton slider Michelle Kelly, The Nepean Raiders and more!
Filmmakers include Jason Priestley, Clarence Ford and Douglas Coupland.
Commissioned by CTV’s Bravo!FACT (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent), the 11 shorts recently won the Best Drama/Fiction award at the 2010 European Video and Mobile TV Forum in Paris.
Hosted by Seamus O’Regan, the one-hour TV special combines the brightest homegrown directors, actors, musicians, cinematographers, animators, and choreographers with world-class Canadian athletes. The athletes share their fascinating stories through film while celebrating Vancouver 2010.
Athletes In Motion includes commentary and introductions by both filmmakers and athletes, as cameras go behind-the-scenes to capture athletes and artists collaborating in action. Online, the shows are accompanied by bonus elements including bios, photos, and daily captioned snapshots inspired by winter sports and the Olympics, sent in by commentators from across Canada.
ATHLETES IN MOTION features the following short films:
- BRING IT HOME: Directed by Michael Maxxis; featuring biathletes Rosanna Crawford (Canmore, AB) and Megan Imrie (Falcon Lake, MB)
- HOCKEY T’NITE: Directed by Mark Adam; featuring Wayne Gretzky (Brantford, ON) and The Nepean Raiders (Nepean, ON)
- HARDCORE BONSPIEL: Directed by John Kerr and written by Douglas Coupland; featuring Canadian and World curling champion Jennifer Jones (Winnipeg, MB)
- SIT ON IT: Directed by Murray Siple; featuring Paralympic sit-skier Josh Dueck (Vernon, BC)
- JUST BEAT IT: Directed by Jason Priestley; featuring World Champion silver medallist alpine skier Jan Hudec (Calgary, AB)
- FIGHT FOR FLIGHT: Co-directed by Nicole Mion and Cam Christiansen (animator); featuring ski jumper Katie Willis (Calgary, AB)
- IN THE GROOVE: Directed by Clarence Ford; featuring four-time World and Canadian National Champion figure skater and choreographer Kurt Browning (Rocky Mountain House, AB)
- LET YOURSELF SLIDE: Directed by Clarence Ford; featuring skeleton racer Sarah Reid (Calgary, AB)
- STAND TALL, WATCH THE JUMP: Directed by Srinivas Krishna; featuring World Champion and former Olympian aerialist Warren Shouldice (Calgary, AB)
- FIGURES: Directed by Miryam Bouchard; featuring former Olympic silver medallist Elizabeth Manley (Ottawa, ON)
- SLIDE SHOW: Directed by Clarence Ford; featuring former Olympians Heather Moyse (bobsleigh, Summerside, PEI), Regan Lauscher (luge, Red Deer, AB), and Michelle Kelly (skeleton, Fort St. John, BC)
ATHLETES IN MOTION airs Sunday, Feb. 7 at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT on Bravo! (check local listings).